[Gpdd] HEALTH:UTI concern

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:47:58 EST 2013

Hi Lynn,

Your description of Callie's problems sounds very much like a UTI to me.
You may find that she is very wet at the rear and underneath too and Earl
may find blood with a UTI too. The stale odour is very indicative of a UTI.

I treat this with a ladies' cystitis remedy from the pharmacy ( smaller
dose of course ) but by the time you read this, I expect that Callie will
have seen the vet and been given an antibiotic. Make sure that she
completes the course even if the UTI seems to have cleared up and follow it
on with a probiotic to put the good bugs back.

Many people give their sows diluted cranberry juice if they are susceptible
to cystitis. Be sure to use the unsweetened one. I've never done this but
Piggyfriends with cystitis have been so very few over the years, which is
fortunate when you think how many there have been, and those few have
recovered completely without any recurrence of the problem.

All the best for Callie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer applies. I have no veterinary training but decades of
cavy experience and the very best help from my wonderful Rodentologists and
a great vet before them.