[Gpdd] HEALTH:Re Callie update

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 05:17:47 EST 2013

Lynn,

$200 for a course of Baytril and some Metacam.!! That is disgraceful!  Vets
are just handed a licence to print money along with their diploma. Together
with the fact that the vet was not even sure about giving these meds as
he/she did not know what was wrong with Callie.

For a few pounds, I can buy a box of Cymalon sachets ( ladies' cystitis
remedy ) at the pharmacy. This would give me enough to treat a whole pen of
sows. For painkiller, I use children's liquid ibuprofen - called Nurofen
here in England - and this is always in my piggy first aid box.

If you ever face such a dilemma again, take both of your girls along and
get the vet to check them both for you. As you cannot see them, surely a
bit of human kindness would not go astray to help you out. If I have to
take a piggy to see the Rodentologist, I always take a small friend along
to keep them company on the journey. Then, if one has to stay at their
hospital, he/she will not be alone.

It would not actually do any harm if you treated both girls but I doubt
that the vet will have given you enough baytril for two courses ( unless
he/she was feeling exceptionally generous - which is doubtful ) and half a
course might not be effective. If you were given enough for two courses,
make sure that both have probiotics afterwards.

Now for the practicalities...can you get Earl to put the girls in separate
boxes with white paper or towels and watch them carefully? Give them some
food with diuretic properties - celery is a good one if they like it - and
wait....and wait.....and see what comes out the other end. A sow with a UTI
will lift her hindquarters when she urinates and generally will squeak
loudly whilst doing so. There may be blood in the urine but not always.
There is, as you noticed before, a stale odour and the sow is usually very
wet underneath.

If Earl can work out who is squeaking, then treat that one. If not, hang on
to the meds for now until you are sure that what you heard was not just a
squabble.

If you can work it out between you, the $200 for another potential trip to
the vet would buy a whole lot of veggies and hay.

There is always the possibility that Callie could have passed a small
stone. Because of their anatomy, sows can do this but for boars it is much
harder. This could involve a lot of squeaking but with nothing visible
afterwards. A stone can be really tiny and be lost in the hay.

How good is Earl at cooking? The old traditional remedy for ladies with a
UTI was barley water - not the kind you buy at the supermarket but a home
made version. I've used it and it works for piggies too. It's fiddly to
make as it has to be watched carefully and takes a while but could be worth
a try. Recipe on demand.

Hugs for Callie and Eve and our hope that this all works out.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer.....I have no veterinary training but learned from the
best - a cavy savvy vet, Peter and my wonderful Rodentologists plus a
lifetime of experience.

Sorry to the moderators if this is a bit long.