[Gpdd] HEALTH: Speedway's probable UTI

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 11 09:19:45 EST 2013

Hi Joanie,

It's so good to hear that little Speedway is feeling better!  My piggies have suffered through many UTIs, and I know how heart-wrenching it is to see them in such distress.

Two weeks is a good course for the TMS, but be vigilant afterwards to make sure the infection doesn't come back when Speedy is off the drugs.  I have sometimes had a piggie on medication for up to six weeks for a stubborn UTI; my vet says sometimes the bacteria invades the lining of the bladder and can be particularly hard to eradicate.  The good news is that TMS is usually quite gentle on piggie tummies and is less likely to cause digestive disruptions than many other antibiotics.  Plus, since it is commonly used for human children, it usually comes in a yummy flavored liquid, so piggies take it quite happily.

Here's hoping this is the end of that nasty UTI!

Pat S. and the Prairie Piggies