[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: PRIVACY ISSUE - PLEASE READ

gpdd_admin at gpdd.org gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Thu Feb 14 13:06:27 EST 2013

We recently allowed a post in the GPDD talking about "wheek.it", a
link shortening service. Please be advised that /*the GPDD does *not*
support or endorse this service*/. The post went through before it was
properly evaluated.

While the idea behind the service is admirable, it does not conform to
the GPDD policy.

Be aware that by using it, you are allowing tracking of yourself and
whoever you send a shortened link to. This information was taken
directly from their site: "Plus, you can even track link analytics to
see who's using your short links."  In other words, anyone that uses a
link can be tracked.

You are also giving your information to marketing services: "First,
wheek.it uses a technique called "affiliate marketing" to raise money
for guinea pig rescues. Affiliates are companies like Kohls or
Zappos.com: our "participating shops". wheek.it affiliates have agreed
to pay us a commission for any item (a product or service) that is
purchased through a wheek.it link."

We are also uncertain how much of that paid commission is donated.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and hopefully you
can make an informed decision before using the service.

Again, we do not endorse the service, nor does the GPDD collect any
members' information for any use outside the GPDD.

The GPDD Team