[Gpdd] HEALTH: Mr. Brownie has a UTI

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 23:14:37 EST 2013

I usually read about UTIs in sows on this list, but Mr. Brownie has decided to demonstrate that boars can get them, too. I'm thankful for all of you who shared symptoms and outcomes because it made me look smarter when I took him to the vet. He's on a course of Baytril, with a probiotic called Proviable (which he actually likes!) between doses. He's still fighting a lot of bladder sludge and his appetite has been off, so we get to spend a lot of quality time together, with one med or another and Critical Care. He's holding most of his poo in his perianal sac, so we've been clearing it for him. He mostly stopped peeing today, so he got another vet visit where we learned what his bladder feels like and how to gently press it to encourage the pee out if he stops again. A truly amazing amount of cloudy, gritty pee came out for the vet. Much less came out for me this evening and his bladder was not distended and some of his towels were moist, so I'm hoping things are under control for the moment. He is such an exciting critter!

At least three vets at the practice wanted to look at his extra incisor on one of his visits. Consensus is there is nothing wrong with it, it's not bothering him, but it's weird so everybody wanted in on it. I told him he is very popular up there. :-)

His brother, Mr. Cuddles, has fully recovered from his last stone surgery and volunteers to eat Mr. Brownie's food for him. I told him it doesn't work that way, but he continues to be hopeful.

-ginger