[Gpdd] CARE Re: UTI Info

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:30:17 EST 2013

Yes, Lynn. That's the stuff - Cymalon ( although here in England there are
other makes which work as well ). Pharmacy chains like Boots here make
their own.

It is not an antibiotic but can often clear up the misery of cystitis (UTI
) without the need for other drugs. It's always worth a try first before
giving antibiotics.

This is how we use it here. Mix a quarter of a sachet in an about an eggcup
of water. Over the course of a day syringe the mixture into piggy a bit at
a time. On the second day, mix up another quarter and syringe it the same.
This can be enough to clear up a UTI.

You can give the home made barley water at the same time and the cranberry
juice if you have it. Always use home made barley water or fresh diluted
cranberry juice not the sweetened drinks that are made for people.

If Eve is very wet underneath, beware of urine scald which is very painful.
You might need to bathe her rear end, carefully dry her and apply a barrier
cream such as Vaseline to help keep her dry. A piece of Vet Bed in her
sleeping area will help keep her dry too. This fabric has a fluffy top and
a green rubbery backing. The fluffy fleece wicks the urine away and through
the green backing. If you put a wad of newspaper underneath the fabric,
this absorbs the liquid. VetBed pieces can be machine washed an infinite
number of times. I buy it off the roll at a pet shop but I know that cavy
slaves in the US have bought pieces from Ebay.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

My usual disclaimer-

No veterinary training but learned from the best - my vet, Peter and my
wonderful Rodentologists plus years of experience.