[Gpdd] HEALTGH: Update on Eve and Callie

Lynn Williams mlwilliams at clear.net
Mon Feb 25 19:44:29 EST 2013

Hi y'all,

Well, I *think* I have some good news!  I took her highness, Princess Eve,
to see her doctor this morning.  This time, it was the male doc, who I much
prefer.  He impressed me when he picked her up first and talked to her
softly to reassure her.  Then, he put her on the table to check her out.  I
had put white towels in her box so he could see if there was any sign of
blood visible.  There wasn't.  He tried to compress her bladder; whereupon
she promptly kicked his hand with her sharp little nails; and could not feel
any stones and she didn't squeal out like she was in pain.  He couldn't even
find any urine to express.  She had relieved herself in the box a few times
before he saw her.  I had put letuce in there to make sure she had ample
fluid before she saw him.  He took time to talk with me about all sorts of
things guinea pigs and made me feel much better.  He said he doesn't know
why she is squealing sometimes when she pees but said it could be some other
sort of infection that is causing her discomfort.  So, he put her on
something called SMZ[TMP[SUSP.  He said it covers a wider variety of
nfections and wants me to give her .65 ml gtwice daily and continue the
medicam for 3 more days to allow this time to get into her system.  Out of
curiosity, I asked him if he did guinea pig dental work.  He paused and
actually said "Well, she doesn't *look* like she's misssing any meals!"
Hmph!!  After a good visitg , I loaded her up and brought her back home.
She seems to be in good spirits so I am going to try this and see if it
works.  If not, I did order the sachets and will give that a try.  I do have
some confusion about the dosing water to sachet ratio but will ask further
when and if it becomes necessary.  He was unfamiliar with this product but
was perfectly willing to say so.  Someone asked me about sweets and fruits
for the girls.  As a matter of routine, I don't give them anything witgh
sugar in it.  I will occasionally give them a piece of apple or a grape or a
piece of strawberry but as a rule, their diet consists of a combination or
variety of the following on a daily basis:

Bell pepper, green beans, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, celery, green leaf
lettuce,, baby carrots and when I have them, a few cornsilks or corn shucks.
That is just once in a while though.

They both have great appetites but Callie seems to be in charge of the food
plate when I put it in their cage.  She will stand there with her little
head up, waiting for me to put it down.  Eve, on the  other hand , will run
back and forth from one side to the other, muttering and chirruping until
finally, I will hear her go over to the plate and take a piece of whatever
she can get her mouth on.  I don't know if it's a dominance thing or if she
is just not as big a chow pig as Callie is!  But, to finish up here, I feel
very relieved tonight and not nearly as worried as I was.  And, oh, by the
way, he does do dental work but says he doesn't like to do it under
anesthesia.  Good!  He says he uses a pediatric device called a
laryngiscope.  I don't kknow how to spell it but there you have it.  :)

Thanks again for all your advice, support and well wishes.  I am getting
ready now to go get their Benhe-bac  tacos to give them and let them call it
a nighit.  Talk to you all again soon.
Hugs, love and whisker kisses,
Lynn, Callie and Eve (who is most offended) with Sammy and Tabby at the
bridge and in our hearts and memories