[Gpdd] Care: Sachets

guineapigfilms at aol.com guineapigfilms at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 01:07:49 EST 2013

Lynn,

You'd mentioned that you didn't know whether or not a vet could prescribe human medications--e.g., antibiotics like the ones that humans take for infections.

Actually, most of the drugs we give our pets are the same ones that doctors prescribe for us for the same conditions/diseases. (There are, of course, some human antibiotics that guinea pigs don't react well to, and these shouldn't be given.)

We get some of our dogs' prescriptions at Target pharmacy and get others from our vet. If an antibiotic is prescribed for Eve that seems expensive to you (when purchasing from your vet), you might want to call a "human" pharmacy and find out how much that same drug costs when buying the same size and amount. It could be much cheaper and it could actually be more expensive. But, if it's cheaper to buy it at a pharmacy/drug store, ask your vet if he/she will write a prescription for the drug so you can get it filled at a place that doesn't charge as much.

Love and WHEEEEEEPS,

Nancy