[Gpdd] Misc: New Misfit to start the New Year!

ANDREW SILL jaggs4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 19:42:54 EST 2013

Hello Fellow Digest Friends,
Well yesterday in our local Craigslist listing was a plea for someone to take
a sick guinea pig. Well I read it and I re-read it and it wouldn't get out of my
mind. So yes I contacted the person which was a young lady. She said she had the
guinea pig for 7 months and all the sudden he stopped eating and drinking. She
said his eyes were crusted shut and it looked like he was going to fall
over. Long Long story short.. When Andy got off work we drove to her house in
the far end of Davenport and picked up a very sick little guinea pig. Not really
so little, he is full grown and multi- colored. When she handed him in his cage
to us I noticed he was wet! I asked why he was so wet? she said she just gave
him a bath as he was so dirty. Yes his cage was a horrible mess of ick.
SO I quickly took him out of his cage and put him in a snuggie. It was very cold
outside! Well I had called our vet and she agreed to see him as soon as we got
him. The lady also then said I will give you his bag of food too!  Well she
hands Andy this very large 50 lb bag of Swine Pellets!!!   She had been feeding
the guinea pig Swine Pellets!
We then left and went right to the vet. Dr Kathy looked him over and gave him
sub-q and then gave him antibiotics and pain meds and a appetite stimulate. He
also is to get critical care too. So far he is hang in in there.  His nails were
long as well. This poor little fellow is so scared.  He has not started to eat
on his own yet. So I help him with that. His back legs are a bit wobbly too. I
am hoping the vit c kicks in and helps that.  It funny I just commented on that
we need to not take in anymore guineas for a while. (yes are herd has grown!) It
is so hard to say no when you know of a guinea in need such as this. I
understand that vets are expensive, but I wonder why people get animals they can
not take care of when they get sick. The vet cost us $86.61 yesterday.
We make it work. If we cannot take care of an animal we wouldnt take it in. So
just wanted to let you know the Misfits started the New Year with a new Misfit.
We changed his name to Riley.  I don't know why but he looked like that should
be his name:) He has been given bad food for a long time.. maybe all his life so
far? Hoping that hasn't damaged his insides as well.  He will know love here.
And I pray he makes it thru this mess he is in.  A big welcome to Riley Misfit.
Jean and Andy (and the many misfits)