[Gpdd] [HEALTH] How to use buccal pad separators

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Jan 8 14:03:49 EST 2013

There are several types of buccal pad and mouth separators. I do not
know what type Joannie's friend has. Below I have written the procedures
on how to use the ones with the rubber tipped ends.
I wrote to Joanie and asked that her friend call me. I do not know of
any video that shows how to do a guinea pig dental exam. Guinea Lynx has
a picture of the buccal pad separators and mouth separators in a piggy’s
mouth. The piggy has the first mandibular molars arching over the
tongue. This will prevent a piggy from eating.
http://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
They also have a picture of the separators and instructions on how to
order them from the Cambridge Cavy Trust and British Association of
Rodentologists CCT-BAR.
http://www.guinealynx.info/send_separators.php

They state that you can call the Cambridge Cavy Trust. However, they
only take calls from members. You can join at
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/index.html
You can pay your dues, buy products like Vedra’s new book and pay for
them through PayPal. BAR also has a dental handout you can buy that
shows correct dentition and malocclusions and how to correct them. Their
PayPal address is stanislinski at aol.com. If you order through PayPal you
must send an email to the same address stating how much money you sent
and what you want to order. They no longer have the metal teeth files.
Procedures how to use buccal pad separators.
Clear the mouth of all food and fluid. Use a 1 ml syringe that has the
tip cut off of it to empty the mouth.
Securely wrap the cavy. Lay it on a pillow.
Squeeze the ends of the thin lightweight buccal pad separator and
holding it closed insert behind the incisors. Turn to a horizontal
position then push back slightly before releasing gently and ensuring it
is securely holding the buccal mucosa apart.
Squeeze the ends of the stronger thicker wire mouth separator closed and
insert behind the incisors before releasing slowly ensuring it is
securely holing the upper and lower jaws open.
When rasping or cutting the lower molars make sure to brace the lower
jaw or mandible.
After any work on the molars the cavy must be given an antifungal drug.
For example, Nystatin oral suspension 100,000 USP units. Give 0.3 ml
twice a day for 7 days.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.