[Gpdd] MISC: Boars

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:24:26 EDT 2013

Hello all,
Thank you all for the wonderful tips for bonding boars, the well wishes for
Flower, and the condolences for Cinnamon. Flower is happy, fat, and
healthy. The only issue seems to be that she continues to lose fur (it's
thinner). The vet said getting her spayed may not fix all of her symptoms
she was having, her ovarian issues may actually have been a result of a
hormonal problem instead of the other way around. But...if she continues to
lose more fur I may take her back to the vet, I don't want her to get cold.

 In spite of my best efforts, the boars still hate each other, actually
it's just Barney hating Rocky. Rocky got his name not because he is a
fighter, but because he totally rocked Barney's world :) He is a beautiful
calico Peruvian, mostly black and white. He likes to be held and is
actually caught quite easily. Barney seems slightly more tolerant of him
during floor time, but will usually eventually try to attack, which I can
usually head off with a towel. Barney is the most intelligent pig I have
ever owned. He comes out when I call his name just like a dog, and he is
not afraid of anything. So when I say 'Barney' in a menacing voice as he is
approaching Rocky he will usually stop and look at me and then take a step
back. But, just like a dog, sometimes he refuses to listen. Especially when
he has had enough of Rocky's constant burring, rumblestrutting, and
scenting. He tolerates it as first with only mild chattering, but after
about 15 to 20 minutes of it he will get annoyed to the breaking point and
try to push the limits. Rocky doesn't seem to care, he is a young boar, and
has never tried to attack Barney. I'm hoping that as Rocky gets older maybe
he won't annoy Barney so much. I tried putting them in a fresh area of
grass at the same time with no scents in an outside hutch, and Barney
tolerated it for about 20 minutes before Rocky got some fur pulled out (no
worries there was no blood or other injuries). Good thing Rocky has so much
fur. I really want that guinea pig armor that we saw online for Rocky,
haha. Needless to say, they are in separate cages...

Anneli