[Gpdd] MISC: My baby girls

ME me at buddies.org
Tue Jun 4 08:34:10 EDT 2013

One thing I do with baby pigs after they trust me is examine them daily.  Partly to get to know them better, but also to get them used to being handled in different ways.  I check their teeth, ears, nose, bodies, and tummies.  I also play with their feet, and when they've gotten used to it, I put them on their backs (propped on my tummy in my lap) and pretend to cut their nails.  By the time I actually have to do it, most of them just sit and let me do it.

I also teach them to take from a spoon and syringe while in their enclosure.  Since it's while they're healthy and I don't care when they finally do it, it's a very relaxing introduction.  Most are grabbing the syringe within a week because they're curious why the others are so excited.  I have had a few that took months or longer (I have a 2.5 year old that finally tried it a few months ago), but I never force it.  The downfall is that I can't give meds in the enclosure since I'd have a bunch of piggies trying to get the syringe, and the sick one probably wouldn't be one of them, since she would probably be laying in a corner.  :(