[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Help! Puffy is starving

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jun 6 18:40:04 EDT 2013

Oh Dear Me,
Whenever a piggy has teeth work done especially on the molars it must be
treated with an antifungal drug. At this advanced stage I would
recommend itraconazole 10 mg/ml oral suspension. Give 0.5 ml twice a day
for 10 days then off for 3 days. Repeats for another 10 days and off 3
days for a total of 30 days on the itraconazole. At the same time get a
good probiotic, benebac, healthy poos, acidophiilus whatever you can get
your hands on and feed it 3 times a day. You must also give a minimum of
40 ml of pedialyte/water every day. Critter be better is better than
critical care because it contains probiotics. Try to syringe as much
food as you can. It sound like he still has molar problems that is why
he is choking and decaying food is caught under elongated molars. I do
not know why he was put on antibiotic and metacam for the slobbers which
is usually an indication of a molar problem and or oral thrush. This
much weight loss can cause hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver. This will
make it unable for him to digest food correctly. A dip stick urinalysis
will tell you if he has ketones and or bilirubin both indications of
liver problems and not getting enough calories no matter how much he
eats. For pain give him 0.4 ml twice a day of dye free Advil which is
ibuprofen.
Wishing you the best.
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase
Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA