[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE A new Piggyfriend

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:16:36 EDT 2013

A fortnight ago, my local rescue had a call from a lady who is moving into
a new home, where she could not take her guinea pig and hoped that the
rescue would be able to rehome him. They refused as they insist on all
boars being neutered before rehoming and said that, at 5 years of age, he
was too old for this procedure. At least they got that bit right. I hate
this policy as intact boars can readily be paired up with a boarfriend. I
have now and have had in the past many happy pairs of boars, some of whom
mysteriously came home with my son before the vet could get hold of them.

Someone who works in the small animals section told my son, Kevin, about
this piggy. Kevin is the IT section but most of the staff know the mad
guinea pig lady who is his mum. Somehow they arranged for this piggy to be
brought into the rescue today and Kevin took a carrier into work with him,
ready to spirit him away before he was entered on the books.

He is here now, a lovely chunky golden boar with two little white patches,
one on his nose and the other between his ears. He is the image of my Lima
from many years ago. His name is Toffee and, although I had a Toffee a few
years back, I shall keep his name as it has been his for such a long time.
I have written a label for his pen saying "Toffee II".

Apart from shedding some of his coat, he is in good condition, with neat
nails, clean ears, and nice straight teeth, which makes a change from some
of the waifs and strays that have beaten a path to our door. He has
obviously been well loved. He has always been a lone pig and has only
visited the vet once, for an infected paw. No sign of that injury now.
Happily for him, he has always lived indoors and he was brought into the
rescue in his cage. Kevin might acquire that later as a spare cage is
always useful for quarantine.

He munched a chunk of carrot whilst I was erecting his pen, which I have
put next door to Bosworth and Rafferty, two outgoing boars who will make
him feel at home.

After a preliminary health check and a cuddle, I put him in his new home,
whereupon he started on a pile of freshly cut grass and has just taken a
cucumber slice from my hand. He was very vocal when being examined but is
quietly clearing up all the food at the moment.

When he has settled in, he will have a bath to remove all the loose hair
and then I will take a photo to share with you all.

So, please welcome Toffee, my newest Piggyfriend, who sits still to be
petted. What a sweetheart. I feel sorry for the lady who had to give him up.

Penny.