[Gpdd] HEALTH:Kimba

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 04:47:27 EDT 2013

Julie,

Reading Glynis's post just now reminded me of the use of menthol crystals
to aid breathing. It is so long since I needed these for one of my herd
that I forgot to mention it before.

Menthol crystals can be bought at a pharmacy here in England and come in a
small cylindrical container. I put some boiling water into a small jar ( I
use one that previously held baby food which was used for syringing a sick
piggy ) then add a crystal, which soon dissolves. As Glynis said, hold the
jar just under piggy's nose and let him breathe the vapour. Wrap something
around the jar so that it can be held safely. I use a face flannel.

To me the vapour is overpowering so I keep my nose well away but piggies
seem to love it and it really does help to clear their nasal passages.

All the best for Kimba. All paws crossed for the good vet on Monday.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.