[Gpdd] [HEALTH] UTI's and Piggyville info

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Mar 2 15:52:57 EST 2013

To all the piggys with UTI's,
I have a very difficult time expressing myself. If anyone would like to
re-write the information about UTI's on my Piggyville web site feel free
to send it to me. I know that what I wrote is too long and convoluted.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=4#Urinary_Tract_Infections_3
Basically here is some info in a nutshell.
Each piggy is unique so what works for one piggy may not work for another.
UTI's can be treated with just Cymalon sachets. Peter Gurney says to
treat for 3 days http://www.petergurney.com/
Vedra says to treat for up to 8 days while diluting a sachet according
to human instructions. Regardless you will need to syringe your piggy
about 40 ml of the liquid each day.
Peter Gurney also recommends pearl barley water.
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cystitis.htm
At piggyville.com it says to use the antibiotic pediatric Septra,
Septrin, Bactrim. All of these are human oral suspensions of 200 mg of
sulfamethoxazole and 40 mg trimethoprim in 5.0 ml. For members in
Florida, Publix pharmacy will give you a 14 day supply FREE if you have
a prescription from your vet.
This antibiotic is the first drug of choice when treating uti's. It must
be used for 10-14 days sometimes even longer like 21 days. The most
important thing is that it must be used with a nonsteroidal
anti-inflammatory drug, abbreviated to NSAID. You can use children's
ibuprofen oral suspension 100mg/5ml. Use 0.4 ml twice a day. When the
piggy starts feeling better lower the amount to 0.2 ml twice a day for
as long as the piggy is on the antibiotic. You may need to give the
NSAID for longer than the antibiotic. The first NSAID of choice is
Rimadyl. Start out at 10 mg twice a day. Again when the piggy is feeling
better and eating on its own and not showing any signs of pain then
reduce to 5.0 mg twice a day. Just like the ibuprofen the rimadyl must
be given for as long as the antibiotic and should be given for even
longer like an extra 5 days. See more info at Piggyville.com Health.
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase
Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA