[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Imodium dose, mg and ml

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Mar 5 09:59:02 EST 2013

Hi Joanie,

The confusion is over mg = milligrams which is a weight measurement and
ml = milliliters which is a liquid measurement.
Below is what I posted about Imodium.

You can give 2 mg of Imodium at one time. That is the maximum weight of
Imodium that you should give in 24 hours.

The liquid Imodium that I have contains 1 mg of imodium in 5 ml. Thus if
I wanted to administer 2 mg of imodium I would have to give 10 ml of the
solution. Therefore, 10 ml of the liquid imodium contains 2 mg of imodium.

"I do not know the concentration of Imodium = loperamide hydrochloride
oral solution, that you are giving Sami. However, you can give 2.0 mg in
one dose.  The generic Imodium that I have sates that there is 1.0 mg of
loperamide hydrochloride in 5.0 ml. Thus, I could give 10.0 ml of the
oral solution at one time. 2.0 mg is the maximum amount that you can
give in 24 hours, however you can give it all in one dose."

I hope this helps.

I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase
Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA