[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Antibiotic advice you also need NSAID advice

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Mar 13 15:15:31 EDT 2013

Hi Lynn,
I am happy Eve is getting an xray. In females most stones are in the
urethra and are very easy to remove. I am not keen on antibiotic
sensitivity testing. I would suggest that you collect a fresh clean
urine sample and take it to your vet for dipstick testing and
microscopy.  I have found that basically their are 2 antibiotics that
clear up UTI's. Both of these antibiotics may need to be used for up to
21 days, sometimes longer. The first choice is paediatric septrim also
known as paediatric septra or bactrim. It is an oral suspension that
contains 200 mg sulfamethoxazole and 40 mg trimethoprim in 5 ml. You
would give 0.5 ml twice a day for usually 10-14 days.
The second choice is Baytril 10 mg orally twice a day for usually 7-10
days. If you are given a clear oral solution of Baytril you should
dilute it with juice prior to giving it to Eve.

The anti-inflammatory that you use is just as important as the
antibiotic. The BAR does not recommend the long term use of metacam in
cavies. My first choice of NSAID is Rimadyl orally 10 mg twice a day for
the first 5 days then 5 mg twice a day for up to one week after the last
lose of antibiotic. Thus is Eve is on antibiotic for 21 days she needs
to be on an NSAID for 28 days. My second choice of NSAID is children's
ibuprofen oral suspension 100 mg ibuprofen/5 ml. Give 0.4 ml twice a day
for the first 10 days then reduce to 0.2 ml twice a day for up to one
week after the last dose of antibiotic.
Every case is unique so the length of time I am recommending for Eve is
based on the information you have provided.
Often pain and inflammation of the bladder is overlooked. If this is not
addresses it predisposes Eve to further infections and stones. Read more
at piggyville.com
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase
Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA