[Gpdd] HEALTH: Antibiotic advice

ME me at buddies.org
Wed Mar 13 20:28:41 EDT 2013

To add to what Ann said, in a stubborn UTI case (which this seems to be), there should not be a break between meds.  My vet always starts with Sulfatrim (Trimethoprim Sulfa, etc.), 10-14 days, longer if there is crying (at least a week after crying has stopped).  If it appears not to be effective anymore (health doesn't improve or gets worse), we switch immediately to Baytril for 10-14 days (even if the course of Sulfatrim is not finished).  This usually takes care of it, but if it seems to be just a little stubborn, we go back to Sulfatrim.  If it gets worse, we go to Amikacin.  The point is to keep attacking the infection and modify meds when progress isn't being made.  I have not found cultures to be that helpful as there tends to be residual infection that does better with another drug.  If you're not seeing blood, I wouldn't put her through x-rays yet, unless she's crying every time she pees.

Also, you can check her with a human UTI kit (you can also look to see if there's sludge or crystals in her urine).  I've found putting them on a clean lid of a container, one end raised an inch so that it makes a ramp is the best way to collect urine (as she won't be sitting in it).  The thing about this method is that you do need to watch her until she goes ... which could be hours ... though I had one who got tested several times and realized that she got to go back with her friends and have carrots as soon as she went so she'd go within 10 minutes.  :)

Good luck.