[Gpdd] HEALTH: Re Hairballs

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 05:02:03 EDT 2013

Hello Caroline, Geoff, Dewey and Rosie,

I have never come across a piggy with hairballs. I would have said that it
was impossible and there is no mention of it in any of my GP books. I've
looked on GuineaLynx and they consider it unlikely.

If you have ever looked into a piggy's mouth to examine his teeth, you will
know that all of their food is masticated so finely as to look like soup.
They do not swallow lumps of food in the same way as a cat or dog but grind
every morsel down to a paste before swallowing so, even if a piggy did chew
some hair, it would be ground down in the same way as normal food.

>From your description, I would hazard a guess that Dewey has a gas problem
and your vet might want to treat him for that but it is nigh on impossible
to form a diagnosis without seeing the piggy in question.

I am no expert, just someone who has cared for piggies for 40 or more years
and picked up some knowledge along the way so if anyone knows differently,
please post.

Do let us know what happens as we all love to learn from others'
experiences.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.