[Gpdd] Gpdd (Health) (Ovarian Cysts, Neutering)

Ellen Garrison guineamom88 at yahoo.com
Fri May 31 00:26:31 EDT 2013

Hi Anneli and everybody,

I would be very careful of having a sow spayed.  I myself have never had that done with any of my sows. I had only my first piggy, a boar, Li'l Guy Antonio, neutered.  I would not want to have a piggy fixed again, after seeing that happen and hearing there are perhaps better alternatives.
My boars are all separate from the sows and I am not a breeder or anything! just a piggy slave  :)

Spaying they say is more invasive, I have never seen a spayed sow, so i lack any experience in the matter and will tell you that now I am only a piggy slave, not a vet or rodentologist, LOL!! But from what I gather, the hormonal injections like what Penny said, are safer --and safe is a good thing.
I had two sows that had ovarian cysts but I never had them neutered because of it. Gin Gin had them but not too big, and she was also diagnosed with a heart condition and had to take a diuretic each day.  I had gotten Li'l Guy neutered so he could be with her,and that was the only reason, and according to my memory, I was thinking of having Gin Gin fixed and I am glad I did not in the "end".  I think the vet at the time had told me about the hormonal injection but I don't recall Gin Gin receiving shots for ovarian cysts and then one day, the cysts she had, spontaneously burst and she was skinny again.

My sow Cheyenie had cysts, and I had a hard time with that vet (which we don't go to anymore).  The vet wanted to give Cheyenie another type of hormonal shot other than what Penny and Ann, etc. had recommended, but since this was an exotics vet, I thought they knew, but, no. Nothing happened.  Well anyway Cheyenie had followed Rufie to the Bridge about 21 days later, so they are I am sure inseparable there :) I love my piggies!

Thanks for listening!
~Ellen