[Gpdd] Gpdd (Health) (Ovarian Cysts, Neutering)

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri May 31 03:28:55 EDT 2013

I only had one sow spayed and it went well for a couple weeks until they
discontinued her metoclopramide. She was a gassy pig, and off the med her
gas returned and caused her stitches to itch, since they itched she tried to
relieve it by chewing and she chewed through her entire gut before I found
her.  The vet was talented and tried a bowel resection but of course it
failed. I found out later that gut calming meds must be tapered off so the
stomach and gut relearn to do their work.  She was so gassy though she may
have been doomed. It is a more invasive surgery than neutering boars but my
vet said he preferred it because the incision is further up the belly and he
felt it would stay cleaner than if she were a boar.
Still more is known now so a lot depends on your vet although mine was one
of the best in the country.  Still she died.
Sandy, Sammy, and AR