[Gpdd] HEALTH: Treacle

juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 29 22:01:33 EST 2013

Hello everyone,

I've been a bit slack getting back to you, but between looking after Treacle & the other 3 boys, and coping with looking after our myriad of animals (i.e. parrots, finches, budgies, love birds, possums, trying to save wild birds from being the prey of the horrid goshawks and kits which live in our place because they've got easy pickings, caring for the dogs, struggling to town, washing and having to save the grey water into buckets to water our trees dying because of the drought, coping with my very ill health at the moment, having to drive quite some distance to give away our peacock & peahen, also our 3 guinea fowl because we couldn't stand their noise and are trying to reduce the stress of noise (although we are stuck with those horrid bullies of our bird world the lorikeets, feeding the king parrots and crimson rosellas, cooking meals, all the housework that goes with that, and caring for my piggies (trying a new bedding product called Carefresh, but it's so expensive, searing high and low to find live grass to fee my boys, then having to handwash it all to ensure there are no paralysis ticks in the grass, I'm exhausted, and have been too slack to update you on Treacle.

Firstly, I took Penny's advise and he's now getting a daily dose (I've reduced it now to once per day) of vitamin D3, calcium and magnesium (I think it's our version of Osteocare which we don't get here in Australia; and I had a friend who said she's just bought both rabbits and piggies and the pet store owner told her piggies must get extra vitamin C supplement because they get scurvy.  He also gets his vitamin C every day too.    I looked up the web for scurvy in piggies, and Treacle was the classic example because he was losing the use of his front right leg as well.

So, between the vitamins and my care, he's nearly back to his normal self.   Scurvy takes 2 weeks of medication, but I'm going to buy the Oxbow Vitamin C for piggies and syringe all my boys with the vitamin C daily, just to be sure.   I'd say they need the extra supplements now because of the way food products are handled by the shops - forcing tomatoes to ripen, bananas available all year round, same with strawberries, etc.   There used to be a time when fruits & veges were seasonal, but now now.   So I guess some of the vitamin content has been reduced because of the way farming is done these days.  I ensure that all my boys get spinach, kale, parsley, tomato, carrot, cucumber, celery, and melons eg watermelon, or rockmelon or honey dew melon every day.

Anyway, between GPDD, my friend, and me, Treacle is doing well.

Sorry for being so slow getting back, you are all probably thinking I'm in mourning, but so far so good.

Thank you for all your love & support and caring.

Julie & her 4 baby boys