[Gpdd] GPDD (Health) (Petra Piggy had surgery)

Ellen Garrison guineamom88 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 11:57:26 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

My adopted piggy, Petra, about 2 and a half years, just had a huge sebaceous cyst the size of a golf ball removed from her back. That was last week Saturday.  She has 8 quarter-inch sutures across her lower back. The vet whee went to is probably the best for cavies in this area.  The stitches are the dissolving kind (and NOT cat gut thread!!) They are getting a little loose which I think means that her wound is healing.  Vet gave us baytril and metacam, but also buprenorphine, which I only gave her once the day of the surgery.  She usually is with the other two girls, her friends Roxie and Bernice (aka Bernie), but because of her surgery I wanted to keep her separate so they do not do anything to the stitches. She seems picky in what she eats, and I put her in the cage with them and she started that weird "ch-ch-ch-ch" noise they do when they are giving like, a warning (?) I think that was what that was, and guess it's because of her wound.
So I put her with Bernie on my lap, and the "ch-ch" stopped, but I want to ensure she is recovered completely before putting her back with them.  I ahd to move Merary, the domineering girl that likes to chase everyone around --so she is in a cage near Kaloey on the other bed, she is usually next to the other girls. So there is less and less room as more pigs get their own space, but hopefully that will stop...haha.
Aloha,
Ellen