[Gpdd] [HEALTH] buprenorphine

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Oct 5 13:40:49 EDT 2013

Hi Ellen
The Cambridge Cavy Trust, CCT, and British Association of
Rodentologists, BAR, recommend that  buprenorphine should not be given
to piggys. It is known to cause gastric stasis. The vet probably gave
Petra some pre-op. It is good you only gave her one dose. At
Piggyville.com is a generic surgery protocol developed by the CCT.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=4#Surgical_Protocol_1
I have have seen too many guinea pigs undergo successful surgery that
end up dying because of gastric stasis.

The CCT recommends that metacam should only be used with great caution.
  Rimadyl 5-10mg orally twice a day or ibuprofen 4-8mg orally are the
preferred pain meds.
Best of health.
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA