[Gpdd] HEALTH Mieke's piggies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 05:38:46 EDT 2013

We lost our power during the dreadful storm that enveloped England and,
although we now have it back again, my internet connection failed. So I
could not send my message about mites.

Although the connection is flaky to say the least, I am going to try again
now. This is what I wrote...............

I have never found it to be true with any of my own fuzzies - Rex, Teddy or
similar - but it is said that these breeds are more commonly affected by
skin problems.

I always use Vet Sect Repel shampoo. This is anti fungal and anti parasite,
and it leaves their coats feeling great. Ann took some home with her after
her trip to England and was delighted with it. She has now managed to find
someone in the UK who will ship overseas and ordered lots for the
Piggyville girls. Now, if only I could remember where she bought it. She
may have posted about it on the GPDD. I'll have a little search later and
see if I can find it. Or Ann might post first.

My Piggyfriends are treated with Ivermectin and Panacur every three months.
They each have 0.1ml Ivermectin  ( which is two drops from the bottle in
which my Rodentologists supply it. ) and 0.4ml Panacur. Ivermectin keeps
the mites at bay and any new arrival is promptly treated with both
Ivermectin and Panacur and their name added to the list to remind me when
the next doses are due.

When you bath your girls, tug away at any loose hair and work the shampoo
in very thoroughly. Vet Sect Repel needs to be left on the coat for around
4 minutes for it to do its stuff and then rinsed completely away. I find it
easiest to shampoo piggies in the bath. They cannot run away, you have both
hands free to lather up the shampoo and they can easily be rinsed using the
shower pipe with the head removed.
When treating a new piggy who has arrived with mites ( ie not one that is
on the three monthly roster ), I give one dose of Ivermectin on the first
day followed up by a second a fortnight later and if necessary, a third one
after another fortnight. This will clear up any eggs that might have
hatched after the first dose. Ivermectin kills the mites not the eggs.

After that the three monthly doses keep them all mite free.

Glad you have found a good piggy vet. As you say, it is a waste of time to
wait for the results of tests when you could be getting on with treating
your piggies. Plus it is uncomfortable for the piggies. Mites are very
distressful for the little ones.

All the best for the little girls. Penny and the Piggyfriends.