[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mieke fungal skin problem and Vet Sect Repel shampoo

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Oct 29 18:55:38 EDT 2013

Hi Mieke,

It sounds like you and your piggys have a fungal skin problem. But when
piggys are stressed this gives mange mites a perfect time to attack your
piggys. I would follow what Penny of Piggyfriends wrote. I buy Vet Sect
Repel shampoo on Ebay from allcreaturesvets2010.
You can read more about treating your piggys for mites and shampooing
them at http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9.
If your piggys have had re-occurring fungal skin problems they may need
a course of an antifungal antibiotic. The Cambridge Cavy Trust, CCT, and
British Association of Rodentologists, BAR, uses Itraconazole 10mg/ml.
Give orally 0.5ml twice a day for 10 days. Stop for 3 days then repeat
for another 10 days stop for 3 days and repeat itraconazole for 10 more
days. Thus the piggy will get a total of 30 days on itraconazole. It is
up to your vet if the piggy needs 10-30 days of treatment.

Gorgeous guineas has a great photo page that shows how to diagnose
fungal and mite infections.
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/photogallery.html

Fungal spores can not be cleaned from wood. So if you have any wood
houses or piggy toys get rid of them. Disinfect the pen and everything
in it.

Now you may also have a fungal skin infection and need to see a doctor.
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA