[Gpdd] HEALTH Mieke's piggies

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 08:09:19 EDT 2013

When I rescued Manny the Boar the woman dropped him off and literally ran
from my house as I got him out of his cage and discovered his entire back
half was mostly hairless and with pin pricks of blood and sores. The first
thing I thought of was mites so I hijacked a friend to get to the feed store
fast as it was 5 pm on a Fri night and they close at six. I got the
ivermectin and dosed him within an hour followed by a bath with Adams
shampoo (the one that doesn't claim to kill eggs and last for weeks) and I
scrubbed and bleached his entire cage and threw away the wooden hut they had
for him. His recovery was dramatic as the pain went away almost at once. Now
I will get the Vet Sect if I can. I mention this as his case was so extreme
it might be natural to assume it was a fungal infection. I just thought
mites and it worked. It is Manny's extreme case that set me on such a
campaign to get all piggies on the ivermectin, Panacur routine that Ann and
Penny promote. That way when your piggie gets sick it's one less thing to
worry about when diagnosing the illness. Also, because if a piggie has
parasites he may be more vulnerable to other illnesses as his immune system
is already busy dealing with the parasites.

I think Sammy and I both rest better knowing he doesn't have more than a
tiny amount of mites at any time, (well, he rests better as he is not
itching).
Sandy and Sammy with AR who never gets mites.