[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Shakira

Rayna Alsberg rmalsberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 17:54:53 EDT 2013

Our beloved Shakira piggy crossed over the Bridge Tuesday, September 3,
2013, around 4 pm.  On Sunday morning, she was wheeking for treats, and
munching them happily. By evening, she was lying quietly and could not be
tempted to eat more than a few nibbles of a thin slice of cucumber, her
favorite of all foods. She declined over the next two days and slipped away
on Tuesday.

My husband (aka Piggy Papa) and I have shared our lives with guinea pigs
for the last 14 years. Of all of our piggies, Shakira was with us the
longest, nearly 7 years. She was born in our home, and stayed with us for
her entire life. Recently she had been losing weight and slowing down a
little, but was still eating and drinking enthusiastically, and enjoying
her soft bed, which she liked to use in a turtle fashion, to carry around
and to sleep under.

Shakira was part Abyssinian, courtesy of her mama Carmen, with swirly fur
in patches of black, brown and white. One side of her face was white, and
both her ears were dark. Like her mother, she was not very cuddly, but was
lively, opinionated and very vocal if she thought the waitstaff  were not
prompt enough with the cucumber slices and baby carrots.

Shakira was mostly a homebody piggy, but had the most memorable experience
of her life going to the virtual wedding of her BFF Velvet. She had the
best time attending her friend and socializing with all the other wonderful
piggies that she met there. She was also known to exchange emails with
Velvet and her sister Onyx, usually plotting some mischief.

During the last few wheeks, Glynis and our vet, Dr. Barten at Vernon Hills
Animal Hospital have been wonderful, offering comfort and support.  It
helped so much to have you there, thank you a million times.

And a special thank you to the GPDD, the most supportive community anyone
could ask for.

RIP dear Shakira piggy.  You were loved and will be missed.  We are glad
you spent your life with us.

PS Sorry for the lengthy post. Shakira’s pigture is available on email
request.