[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT Two new little Piggyfriends

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 14:26:54 EDT 2013

My son, Kevin, who works at the animal shelter, came home last night and
asked if I would like two new piggies. After all of a nanosecond's
hesitation, I asked him where they were. He told me that a work colleague,
who shows his piggies, had, for reasons best known to himself, decided to
breed two of his piggies and then decided that the subsequent offspring
were two too many.

The timing is not brilliant as I am going away on holiday tomorrow morning
and I will miss a whole week of them settling in but Kevin's brother, Sean,
is, as usual, coming home to house and pigsit whilst I am away and he is
well qualified to care for these two new piggies as well as the herd.

The colleague took them into work today and they came home with Kevin
tonight.

They are two sweet little sows, about 8 weeks old and have been well
handled. Kevin was told that they are Peruvian / Abyssinian crosses. Dad is
called Squirrel and mum is Laura. I don't know which is the Peruvian and
which the Abby but these little girls have swirly coats at the moment. I
don't know how their coats will grow. They look more Abby than Peruvian at
the moment but that will change.

They are brown and white with white stripes down their noses and one is a
darker brown than the other. The darker one is larger and quite plump but I
am assured that she cannot be pregnant! I expect that she had the lion's
share of the milk.

As I am about to fly home to Ireland for my holiday, I am giving them Irish
names. I am going to call the darker one Roisin ( say it Rosheen ) and the
lighter brown one will be Niamh ( say it Neave ).

When I get back to England again, they will have grown so I have asked
Kevin to take some pigtures tomorrow when it is light and I will put them
on Photobucket to share with you soon.

I don't often have babes here, unless I rescue a pregnant sow so these are
a delight. When they have settled in, I hope to introduce them to a pair of
gentle and motherly sows. They have only just left their own mother and, if
I were not going away, I would have tried an intro tomorrow. I know that
they have been well cared for, mum pig having been wormed and these little
ones will not need quarantining. Maybe Sean will have the time for an intro
in between caring for the herd and looking after my hundreds of plants,
hopefully following my list of instructions.

Piggyfriends will be offline for now so I want to wish all piggies and
piggypeople good health and see you soon.

Take care everyone.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.