[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Baci is turning 7 and his eye

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Apr 6 14:52:53 EDT 2014

Hi Joanne and Baci,

Happy Birthday Baci. Turning 7 is a big accomplishment. Your mother  did
a great job of letting your body heal your eye. Your pupil turned white
due to white blood cells leaving the capillaries and moving into the
damaged area. They repaired the damage and now you can see again. The
warm compresses helped those white blood cells move faster. I too have
had several piggys with injured eyes that were all white but then healed
themselves with a little help from me. I will have to use your mommy's
technique of warm compresses. I usually flush the eye several times a
day with sterile saline until it heals. If it does not heal within a few
days then I take the piggy to the vet office. The vet has special
equipment to be able to look at the eye for a foreign object like a hay
seed. Then the vet can put drops in the eye that numb it while he
removes the foreign object. Sometimes the vet prescribes chloramphenical
eye ointment. But you are a lucky boy because you did not have to go to
the vet.
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA