[Gpdd] HEALTH Stroke

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 06:59:06 EDT 2014

Hello Joanne and piggies,

It is good to hear from you again.

I am so sorry that Sweetie has suffered a stroke. This is not uncommon in
piggies but, if they get over it, and many do, they are unlikely to suffer
another.

Your post struck a chord with me as the same thing happened to my Dorian
that very morning. I found him quiet, listless and uninterested in
breakfast. He was given 1ml. of Osteocare as my Rodentologists have advised
on previous occasions and kept quiet and warm. I put him in a box with a
towel and a cosy fleece. A couple of hours later, he perked up a bit and
ate the chicory leaf that I had placed by his nose ( his favourite veggie )
and I wept tears of joy. Later on he was nibbling parsley and cucumber.
This morning he looks much brighter and has cleared up a dish of assorted
veggies including several slices of cucumber.

He's doing better and we all have paws crossed. The Osteocare is repeated
for a couple of days and then the dose drops to 0.5ml per day. I don't
think that anyone knows why it should work or why anyone thought to try it
in the first place but it can.

It is used when a piggy suffers that sudden onset hind leg paralysis too.

My late Halloween had a stroke when he was 5 and he lived to be 8. Petunia
suffered one last year but recovered very quickly and is now 6. They were
both treated with Osteocare. Years ago I lost a piggy to a stroke before
the idea of Osteocare was suggested. I don't know if it might have saved
her.

So keep a bottle of it in your first aid kit everyone. It might just save a
little life. I am sure that Ann will suggest the US equivalent and this, or
Osteocare itself,  might be available in your respective countries. Here in
England it is readily available over the counter at the pharmacy.

We wish all the best for your Sweetie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer applies - I have no veterinary training but have
learned from the best - Peter, my lovely vet Etienne and my wonderful
Rodentologists.