[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Barney

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 00:27:49 EDT 2014

Thank you all for your condolences and words of advice on Barney's demise.
I believe you all are right that he passed from bloat causing torsion of
the GI tract. I know this is common in many animals now but had never
encountered this before, especially in one of my pigs. Just when you think
you know a thing or two about guinea pigs there is always something else.
The only blessing in this is that I don't have to worry about Rocky and
Clover catching anything from this. I just gave them Ivermectin though,
just in case. I am bad about doing that on a regular basis. I think I've
been doing it like twice a year, which is bad I know. I just learned about
strokes in the previous digest, as I did not know this can happen either. I
am curious what Osteocare is here in the U.S. too. I can't help but think
if only I had known to give Barney gas drops in time..I had no idea this
was fatal and would happen so quickly. I don't know if the gas drops would
have saved him but it makes me really sad to think it might have. I thought
Pedialyte and tummy rubs would keep him alive with having diarrhea until I
get to the vet Monday, but it was not meant to be. I learned about tummy
rubs from you all, since I've obviously never had a pig with a digestive
issue before. I really hope I am not doomed to have my pigs die from one of
everything. Besides being bad about worming on a schedule I really am a
good piggie mom and my pigs are spoiled.
Anneli