[Gpdd] HEALTH - Merrie Rufus and Raphael

Rachel Koo koo.rachel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:42:09 EST 2014

An update!

The bite wounds on Rufus' rump have fully closed. The swellings have also
subsided except for a teeny bump which the vet and I believe to be scar
tissue.  So hooray for that!

He is still on glibenclamide. His blood glucose readings are high on the
normal range so looks like he will be on it for a while more. He can hardly
see and so does not really dare to dash around and have fun. I am trying
cineraria and msm eye drops to see if things can be improved. He is such a
young pig and missing out on so much fun.

Merrie's mobility seems to have improved after almost two months on Hampl
herbal and homeopathic medicines. I started out with low expectations and
am really glad to see the meds working.  I don't think he will ever be
fully normal.  At 5 years old, age is catching up too. But he seems cheery
and pain free and moves around more. He is also able to scuttle around more.

Merrie has other health problems, including a perennially sneezy drippy
right nostril. I know when it gets bad-  his right top incisor gets longer
than the left, probably because its inflammed on the right side and he
chews less on that side. Nothing I do seems to cure it. I am trying to
minimise the problem with daily sea salt nebulising, manuka honey nose
drops and some herbal congestion meds from Hampl. Anyone who has had a
similar experience and has advice for me would be very welcome.

We also have a new addition to the brotherhood! Raphael is 2 and a half
months old. He was a very skinny little boy with a crusty nose when I first
met him. We managed to resolve his crusty nose w eucalyptus oil and also by
nebulising him with colloidal silver.  He is now such a cute little bundle
of naughtiness.

I read Ellen's post on KMS hay. I only bought hay from them once. The
shipping cost was very high.  The hay came in black trash bags. It seemed
alright but the pigs didn't take to it so I never bought again. I now get a
mixed hay from Fuzzies Kingdom online, which the piggies really love. We
also mix in 2nd cut timothy hay from Small Pet Select, mixed barley oat
wheat hay from Alfalfa King and Oxbow Orchard Hay.

Best wishes to everyone here both furry and human!

Rachel