[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Eddie has bladder stones

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Jan 12 14:08:41 EST 2014

Dear Cindy, You can do everything correctly and your piggy can still
develop stones. Luckily your vet has done stone surgery before. At my
website is the surgical protocol that the CCT uses for bladder surgery.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=4#Surgical_Protocol_1
Further down on the page is a treatment protocol for Stone pigs. These
are the most important points for you and your vet to consider.  Only
use Rimadyl for post and pre-op pain relief and isoflurane for
anesthesia. The bladder and urethra must be flushed out during surgery.
Most new stone development is due to inflammation of the bladder and it
not being thoroughly flushed out. Long term anti inflammatory medicine
should be given for the first 4 weeks. CCT uses rimadyl for first 10
days then 8mg Ibuprofen twice a day. You can use Childrens DYE FREE
Advil which is ibuprofen 20mg/ml. The dose is orally 0.4ml twice a day.
Also give orally 0.2ml/ml of hydrangea root extract daily for the rest
of the piggys life. On my web site under stone pigs it also talks about
giving Rowatinex. I used 0.1ml/day for a year. I have found that using
the hydrangea and the massage pad daily even if you just put your piggy
on it for 20 minutes at speed 5 once a day is far more important in
preventing further stone formation than the Rowatinex.Do not use the
massage pad until the incision has healed. It must be a Niagara massage
pad. Other people use Chanca powder from Galens garden to prevent stones.
http://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/dried-herbs/herb-powders/chanca-plus-powder?SID=dc40983393ee551bc3c686a6a13b172b
Others have found that giving shilintong tablets daily have prevented
new stone formation. Artificial dyes have been shown to cause stones in
guinea pigs. Check that everything you feed your piggys or allow them to
chew on does not have artificial dyes. Just like humans piggys can be
genetically prone to getting stones. If Eddie is not a good drinker
syringe him 40ml of ro water/day.
I am not a vet. I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs.
Danielson and Saleh D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA