[Gpdd] Health - Kimba & Sooty (part 2)

juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 14 06:06:05 EST 2014

2 days ago, I looked at Sooty and his left eye was half closed, there is areas of skin around the eye where there has been hair loss, it is weeping, and the white of his eye was so swollen it was taller than where his actual eye ended, looking straight on.   I don't know how to describe it.  Anyway, I knew he had sinus infection again, so immediately on to antibiotics.   When I weighed Sooty on Christmas Day he was down to 753grams from 930grams, so I was concerned of course, but he's always so happy, he's a smiling piggy and a joyful piggy, and he is a piggy which gives joy back to his mum in more ways than one - the main one being he is such a good patient.   I just put a syringe near his mouth and he takes whatever I want him to.

Next morning his eye was looking so much better, it was almost fully open.  By the end of the day is was fully open, so I thought great, I got to him in time.   However, today, the eye is closed again, but the swelling in the white part of the eye has gone down.   I'll take him to vet tomorrow because he needs professional help.     However, I am worried that I used the wrong antibiotic, and may have caused something worse.   Luckily I only used it 3 times, and you'll all probably scream at me when I tell you the antibiotic I used - FLAGYL, I think that is tribressin.    I did not use Baytril because that is what ruined his intestinal workings a few years ago.   I also used nilstat fungal drops in his mouth hoping it might assist in healing any infection in the mouth.

I weighed Sooty last night (I've been too scared to weigh before now) - he's dropped down to 653 grams since Christmas.

After speaking with vet nurse she said don't self medicate it could cause more problems than he already has.  So I have not given him anything tonight except for probiotics (2 doses today).   As Treacle suffered scurvy in November and became paralysed, I ensure I given my boys vitamin C daily as well.   I also thought he may have an abscess because when he tried to eat some corn, his favourite food, he was very tentative around the right side of his mouth when chewing so gave Nilstat.

Re Kimba:    he had that terrible wheezing that he had in June and I thought I would lose him to pneumonia and then teeth misalignment from not eating, but he pulled through - it took me a month of constant non-stop care to get him back to life.

On Monday (yesterday), Kimba was so happy........... he ate so much, he must have done 300 of the most perfect poos!    They were brown in colour, and actually came out pellet shaped, not dark sticky brown with little points at the end.   Some of his poos just didn't separate - they came out like sausages, all joined together.    His poos then became so small I could barely see them.

Going back, when I heard Kimba wheezing I put him on to Flagyl that the vet gave my sister over the counter because he had that back in June.    I'm getting all muddled because I'm frantic and things are out of order, sorry.

Kimba had firstly been doing poos that were soft and all joined together a cow poo, I had to keep clearing his anus.   Somewhere I've read something about poos with funny little tops to them, but I can't remember where or what it was caused by.

On the Flagyl he picked up so well.    I sang Hallelujah when I found his cage and wigwam covered in perfect poos!   And yesterday I was happy - surrounded by Kimba poos!!

Today, there was not one poo in Kimba's cage nor his wigwam.   Kimba, who's been the messiest pig I've had the honour to love.  His cage was clean.   He had eaten some veges.   I was giving him vitamin C daily, nilstat oral drops (because his beard seemed a little wet), simethicone because I heard his tummy rumbling so much, I thought it might help settle it, and probiotics.

I rang my pharmacist today he said Flagyl is for intestinal problems, which I'm sure Kimba had, on top of respiratory problems.   Possibly I should have put Baytril with it and covered all bases.

The only poos I get from Kimba are the two that fill both exits, and that's it.   Not a poo in sight all day, except what I got when I cleared his backside once.   At least he did poo. - 2 small pellets.

Could I have damaged Kimba by giving Flagyl?Will I get the vet to xray both Kimba and Sooty? What if the results are occult and ominous? What if I have to have my boys put to sleep.        This will sound stupid - Kimba is my soul mate.   We are one.   He cuddles me, lies his head on my shoulder and immediately goes into a sound sleep.  He brings his little head to my mouth, and he literally kisses me on the lips.   So, now we are in perfect tune, we both kiss each other at the same time.   Told you he was meant for me, and he needs me now, but he also needs familiarity of his cage and cagemates.       It doesn't help his left eye is totally blind, just a total white colour where there used to be a seeing eye.
Tonight I gave them a plate full of vitamin C high foods, lots of greens, even dandelion to help Kimba try to poop.   When I came to bed 1/2 hour ago (8.15pm) still no poos.

Kimba was born in late August 2008; Sooty is the next oldest born mid January 2009, so they are aging.

My biggest problem is I just cannot think I might lose them, and two at the same time.   I am in denial, I cannot think of how I will cope when I lose them.  I know it's nature, but I have always said my piggies will be with me always.  For me,  becoming so much more disabled each day,
Then, 2 days ago, I looked at Sooty and his left eye was half closed, there is areas of skin around the eye where there has been hair loss, it is weeping, and the white of his eye was so swollen it was taller than where his actual eye ended, looking straight on.   I don't know how to describe it.  Anyway, I knew he had sinus infection again, so immediately on to antibiotics.   When I weighed Sooty on Christmas Day he was down to 753grams from 930grams, so I was concerned of course, but he's always so happy, he's a smiling piggy and a joyful piggy, and he is a piggy which gives joy back to his mum in more ways than one - the main one being he is such a good patient.   I just put a syringe near his mouth and he takes whatever I want him to.

[...]

Going back, when I heard Kimba wheezing I put him on to Flagyl that the vet gave my sister over the counter because he had that back in June.    I'm getting all muddled and things are out of order.

[...]

The only poos I get from Kimba are the two that fill both exit anuses, and that's it.   Not a poo in sight all day, except what I go.   At least he did poo.

[...]

My biggest problem is I just cannot think I might lose them, and two at the same time.   I am in denial, I cannot think of how I will cope when I lose them.  I know it's nature, but I have always said my piggies will be with me always.  They are for me, becoming so much more disabled each day, my major link with life.    To lose my boys could possibly just be the end of my own life as I know it.  I will have two piggies left, and I'm keeping close watch on Hugo because he is a white piggy but his pink lips and pink feet become a bluish colour sometimes, so I figure he's next.

I will never get another piggy for a permanent pet.  I may take in piggies needing help in recouperating before permanent homes are found, but not sure yet.    My heart is overruling my head, it does all the time.   I really do not want any more piggies, simply to lose them in such a short period of time.
To lose my boys could possibly just be the end of my own life as I know it.  I will have two piggies left, and I'm keeping close watch on Hugo because he is a white piggy but his pink lips and pink feet become a bluish colour sometimes, so I figure he's next.

 All I can say is am desperate - PLEASE HELP, IF ONLY WITH YOUR PRAYERS!

Julie & I don't know how many piggies yet.