[Gpdd] HEALTH Chipper's teeth and Garnet

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 05:27:00 EDT 2014

Having been without internet access for a few days, I could not join in the
discussion about Chipper's teeth and I sincerely hope that this has been
resolved and that the little fellow is now munching away.

My senior piggy, Garnet, had to have his teeth looked at yesterday and I
never cease to be grateful that my piggies with dental problems do not have
to have an anaesthetic as this can be so detrimental to their general
health.

I have posted abut Garnet before. His incisors grow all over the place and
branch like antlers. He also grows extra ones here and there. They are more
than I can manage so, every so often, he goes to the Rodentologist, who
trims them back to a proper shape and removes any extra ones. Yesterday, he
had a sharp molar trimmed back to shape in case it started cutting into his
mouth and his incisors were shortened, with a small extra one being pulled
out.

He had his mouth flushed out with several syringes of water and then his
mouth was swabbed with Daktarin oral gel. Straight away he was looking
round for the expected treat and was given several pieces of parsley and a
lot of cucumber strips, whilst sitting on the Rodentologists' table and he
devoured these with glee, having forgotten all about the dentistry. Grated
carrot was placed in his carrier and it had all gone by the time we got
home.

His lower incisors had to be cut really short to remove the oddly growing
bits so he will have to have his food grated for a few days until they grow
a bit but he has cleared up a dish of grated carrot and a plate of thinly
cut cucumber this morning and is eating from his bowl of dried food without
any trouble.

I remember the bad old days of anaesthetics for dental piggies and would
not want to go there again.

Anyone with a dental piggy who does not have anyone who can do this work
without an anaesthetic has my greatest sympathy. Every vet should learn
this procedure, which not only saves lives but makes it easier for the
slave who is responsible for the aftercare.

All the best to anyone who is struggling with a dental piggy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.