[Gpdd] HEALTH: Re Chipper's teeth

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 05:21:23 EDT 2014

I am sorry to read that Chipper is not eating by himself yet.

I had to hand feed my Gulliver for months ( for some unknown reason his
teeth grew very soft and he could not grind his food ) but, like Chipper,
banana saved the day ( and months ).

I have found that a piggy who would normally run a mile from a banana, will
enjoy them via a syringe. Eventually Gulliver would slurp up his mashed
banana from a dish. He would do the same with Readybrek ( an English
instant breakfast cereal ).

It may not help with Chipper but my wonderful Rodentologists have a little
patient with maloccluded teeth. I saw her when I visited them with Garnet.
They are hand feeding her but she will also have a go at a dish of pellet
slurry, which is left in her cage at all times.

They are trying out a new idea for malocclusion. They are cutting her
incisors at the wrong angle. When the molars are out of line, it causes the
incisors to grow diagonally ( you probably know this already ) so they are
cutting them at the opposite slant. This piggy has been in their hospital
for some time and they have noticed an improvement in her alignment.

It might be worth trying this with Chipper.

You vet should be concerned that he has not produced any poo. If he is
eating all that syringe food and not losing weight, he needs something to
help him poo.

He might be gassy, as Cindy has said, in which case, her advice to give
infant gas is spot on. Your vet could give metaclopramide to get things
going and, if he really is constipated, ( rare in piggies ) liquid paraffin
will get things moving. I've only ever had to give this to one piggy in
many years of caring for a herd but it worked like magic. Not long after
giving it, my piggy produced a whole mountain of poo.

If constipation is the problem, laxative foods will help. Dandelions are
brilliant for this if you can get them. I also grow groundsel in my "piggy
veg patch" and this is good too. Is it possible for Chipper to eat if you
put thin strips of veggies into his mouth so that he can use his molars to
eat them, even if he cannot pick up the food for himself? I find that a
dandelion stalk, pushed far enough into the mouth for it to engage with the
molars is a welcome nibble. Celery "matchsticks" make a good shape for
poking in and stays firm unlike carrot strips, which rapidly bend out of
shape if piggy does not take them quickly.

A constipated pig can get dehydrated. Make sure he gets plenty of fluids. I
keep Dioralyte for rehydration. Our US readers can tell you what
rehydration items are available for you.

The liquid paraffin, if needed, is given at a dose of 0.5ml. Only give a
second dose, if needed, on the following day and NO MORE. A third dose
would flush out vital enzymes.

Gas meds will cause no harm, even if they are not what is needed but liquid
paraffin is a different matter so take care.

Paws crossed for Chipper.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer applies. I have no veterinary training but have cared
for many piggies over very many years and have learned from experience and
the best piggy people, Peter Gurney, my Rodentologists and my lovely vet.