[Gpdd] MISC Re: What food do you feed your guinea pigs?

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:29:20 EDT 2014

Hi Jean ( and the Misfits ).

I expect that my feed is going to be different to most people's as I rely
heavily on foraged food for my herd. I like to feed them a natural diet so
do not have branded pellets except for when I need to make up a syringe
feed for a little invalid. Then I use Supreme Science Selective, which,
when hot water is added, makes a nice consistency to go through a 1ml.
syringe.

The Piggyfriends get bowls of dried food and for this I use dried goat mix.
This contains rolled and crushed oats, dried peas, grass pellets and maize.
This is recommended by the CCT ( Cambridge Cavy Trust ). Years ago I used
to buy each item separately and make up my own mix but now I can buy it
ready to use. I buy a 44lb bag of this from a local feed store and buy
bales of meadow hay from the village pet shop.

The Piggyfriends eat piles of freshly cut grass and forage in addition to
stacks of veggies each day. When fresh grass is hard to come by, they have
Readigrass - a dried grass which is baled up for horses - but real grass is
their absolute favourite.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( in England ).