[Gpdd] GPDD: [Announcement] Happy Dilly & Donnie Day!

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 20:26:20 EDT 2014

Greetings!  Please join us in celebrating Dilly and Donnie Day. Six years ago, we adopted our first pair of piggies. Sadly Dilly is no longer with us, but Donnie is still here and is now at least seven years old. He has been doing well except for his three top teeth. It's actually two, but one split lengthwise after his last bar-biting incident. We've tried removing them to the base, but they keep growing in weird.  Donnie has been doing his own dental work since then. Twice a week, he chews on a file until his teeth are the right length. We'd purchased the file so we could file down his teeth for him, but he's happier to do it himself.

Two months ago, Donnie must have taught his new partner, Cocoa Puff, about bar biting. Cocoa Puff was so enthusiastic about it, he broke off his two top teeth. After a week of critical care and hand feeding, he's doing much better now.

Last week, Dilly Jr started losing a lot of weight. He had a complete check up, but the vet is not sure what is going on. The only thing that she could find was that his intestines appeared to be empty and his biliruben was slightly elevated. Right now, he's on sulfatrim, metacam, and critical care. His weight continued to drop until this morning. We hope it will stabilize and that he will enjoy many more D&D Days.

The rest of the herd is doing well. A few months ago, Chakalaka underwent successful bladder stone surgery. His stone was larger than Reese's, but his recovery went much better and so far there have been no signs of relapse.  He's drinking bottled water now. I'm not sure if that's what's helping him, but after everything we've gone through with Reese's stones and now Chakalaka, we're not taking any chances.

Ghirardelli has adapted to her blindness. Both of her eyes have cataracts, but that doesn't stop her from being the first to know that someone is in the kitchen and that food might be on the way if she can just wheek loud enough.

Godiva is well on her way to becoming the "big pig."  Before his recent illness, that was Dilly's title, which we hope he will regain shortly.

We send well wishes for everyone with sick piggies and condolences to those who have recently lost their dear friends.

We hope that you all will have a very Happy Dilly and Donnie Day!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Cocoa Puff, Chakalaka, Dilly Jr., Ghirardelli and Godiva in our home and with Dillon, Twinkie, Puffy, Reese, and Lizzy Forever in our Hearts