[Gpdd] Misc. : about Chipper & Abby

ROYCE cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Fri Jun 20 08:41:00 EDT 2014

Once again I want to thank everyone who expressed sympathy for Chipper's death, and greetings to sweet, little Abby.

I try to find something positive in every life experience, and this one has been no exception. Here is what I've come away with from Chipper's passing:

First, I'm reminded of the pain we all have to go through at some point as we struggle to save, and then lose, one of our little guinea pig friends. I read these messages on the Digest throughout the year, but everyday life seems to intrude and I forget how personally painful each loss is. Going through it again reminds me to have compassion for those who are hurting each time there's a loss and the importance of personally expressing it to everyone who is suffering. The personal touch has meant so much to me. Thank you all again.

Chipper was named because he would never make a move around his pen without making those little guinea pig noises we are all so familiar with. I used to say that he would have been the first guinea pig eaten in the wild because he always announced his presence. Because of this little characteristic, in our house those sounds became known as "Chippering." For that reason, no matter what piggy makes those sounds, it is "chippering" to us and always will be. He is gone but his name is part of our vocabulary and we'll never forget him.

Finally, I have only one guinea pig and, if not for losing Chipper, Abby wouldn't be with me now. I've had her two weeks today and she has totally endeared herself to me. She is in every way the opposite of Chipper: in coloration, but also she is quiet, shy, a picky eater so far, and will sit endlessly on my lap and purr while 3 minutes was Chipper's limit. Yet I can't imagine life without her already. So Chipper's loss was also a gain if I choose to look at it that way, for Abby and for me.

The main reason I've written this long posting was to encourage those who have lost piggies to stay in the game. The sweet little friends need us and, even though the pain will probably come again, they always manage to fill an empty place in our hearts.

Carla & Abby