[Gpdd] HEALTH - pig has pneumonia

Rachel Koo koo.rachel at gmail.com
Thu May 8 00:29:14 EDT 2014

Hi everyone I was introduced to gpdd by Ann Evans some months back. I was
lucky to stumble upon Ann's website when one of my pigs had a bladder stone
for the second time. When I got in touch with Ann she was unstinting with
her support and advice.

Anyway, I have been lurking in the forum since then. I have three piggies.
All boars. The eldest Merrie is 4.5 years old. He was diagnosed with
pneumonia last Wednesday.  He is now on 0.5 ml bactrim and 0.4 ml rimadyl
twice a day. However, the vet did not want to administer lasix to him as
she said it was contra indicated in pneumonia cases. I have been nebulising
him a few times a day to help him.

Merrie has regained some energy and appetite. He still sneezes a bit as he
loves to dig his nose through the cage bedding. The review with the vet is
this Saturday.  Assuming the x ray shows that his lungs are still fluid
filled, should I still try and persuade the vet to administer a lasix
injection or oral dose? And would I ask for 5 mg regardless of how much
fluid there is in the lungs?

Thank you.

Rachel