[Gpdd] Health: Update re Kimba

julie juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Sat May 17 08:21:32 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I continue to struggle trying to save my boy.   On Tuesday avo/Wed morning
he was doing lots of poos that, whilst some were joined in a ball, they were
good colour and moist.  Then in the avo he started to slobber again and
wasn't able to swallow his food.   I took him back to the vet on Thursday
for another go at his teeth because suddenly he and hoped that after the
pain subsided he'd eat.   He constantly shows interest in the food, tries to
pick it up, can't, and gives up.   The stupid vet cut his incisors so they
don't meet, and that means Kimba can't pick up his food.  So, from the
afternoon of Wed avo to Thursday morning and then after the vet visit, so
all day really, he had little to eat.   So, I'm on the back foot again.  I'm
critical caring all day and part through the night to get him back to where
he was.

I've been reading guinealynx and when they speak of bloat problems, they all
mention how when the piggy gets bloat, the poos get small and very dry.
Kimba only did his first poos early this evening after 2 days of nothing
because I couldn't feed him due to the teeth & the stinker of a medical
receptionist made me wait until the following day for an appointment.

I have just boiled some dandelion greens to make a dandelion tea to feed to
Kimba as his fluid intake, and hope that helps get the poos going again, but
moist not dry.    He still complains of pain when I check his bummy, so he
must still have bloat, but not as bad because his sides feel quite soft.
So back on to the wind drops, and back on to Flagyl and Baytril.   I also
give probiotics in the middle of the day between antibiotics; and add
hydralyte to his water at other feed times.    I've tried not to use Metacam
because the vet said it can damage their kidneys.  But if his time is up, I
should make him comfortable so am going to give Metacam to him again with
the next feed in about an hour's time.    I'll then feed him again at 2 am,
then 6 am, on so on.   I'm totally exhausted and wish he could eat, for both
our sakes.

If the abscess that probably started all this has "gone to the bone" in his
jaw  as my vet says after she xrayed him, then does that mean there's no
hope of him eating again and I'm just being cruel keeping him going?
When I asked the vet can it be treated, she said the treatment would not be
possible for a guinea pig because it was toxic.

So here I sit, quickly putting fingers to the keyboard to keep you all
informed, and about to get Kimba again for his next feed.     I'm just so
tired, but I will not give up.        I just wish there were decent programs
on TV to give me something else to do whilst feeding Kimba, as I need to
give him 5 minutes per syringe full for him to eat what was in the syringe.

Love to you all, you are a wonderful, loving, caring, and understanding of
beautiful people,

God Bless you all,

Julie, Kimba, Sooty, Treacle