[Gpdd] Health Chippers Teeth pain after Surgery

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat May 31 21:11:31 EDT 2014

Hi Carla and Chipper

I agree totally with Cindy. It seems very unusual that he would show
interest in food for 10 min and give up. That means he can't eat or it's too
painful. Believe me if he is showing interest and won't eat its pain or
obstruction. Please offer him as much critical care as possible, even a
night feeding, two, or three. In addition, be at the vet Monday morn latest.
Make sure the vet visualizes the molars and offers him pain meds. You can
give children's ibuprofen (liquid Advil) on your own. Ask the vet for
Rimadyl. Here is one of Ann Evans s excerpts on the dosage for Rimadyl, the
example is an arthritic piggy. She feels that Rimadyl is much safer than the
usual metacam. She cautions here that the lengths of time the pain meds are
given are dependent on the illness or condition. Just ignore the part about
the antibiotics, as it's not applicable to your case. Ann's words:

"My first choice of NSAID is Rimadyl orally 10 mg twice a day for the first
5 days then 5 mg twice a day for up to one week after the last dose of
antibiotic. Thus is Eve is on antibiotic for 21 days she needs to be on an
NSAID for 28 days. My second choice of NSAID is children's ibuprofen oral
suspension 100 mg ibuprofen/5 ml. Give 0.4 ml twice a day for the first 10
days then reduce to 0.2 ml twice a day for up to one week after the last
dose of antibiotic. Every case is unique so the length of time I am
recommending for Eve is based on the information you have provided."

Sandy again,  My feeling is that Chipper shouldn't still be in so much pain
he can't even try to eat so pain meds is only one issue. You must find out
why he is in pain or what the obstruction is'
I am not a vet or a rodentologist and I have never even had a piggy with
tooth problems. I do recommend that folks don't cut up their piggies salads
and veggies. They need to chew lots to keep the teeth ground down. They must
also have unlimited access to good hay. Finally, just think of your own
experiences with tooth pain in your life. The smallest rough edge of chip
can be very irritating and dental pain can be very extreme (my experiences
as a person. So it doesn't mean the vet did a bad job, it's that a small
rough edge can really cause a lot of pain.
Sandy, Sammy, and AR

---