[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Callie

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 3 15:42:13 EDT 2015

Dear Lynn,
I'm so sorry to hear about you losing Callie; it's so cruel that you should have this to deal with in the midst of all your own medical problems.  I know you did everything you possibly could have to help her, and I hope you can --- someday soon --- take some comfort in the wonderful life you were able to give her for most of the time she was with you.  It was obvious in all your posts how much delight you take in your piggies and how much they enjoyed their life with you.
I know exactly what you mean about the heart-wrenching effects of discovering you have no competent veterinary help when you need it.  Particularly maddening is the fact that so few vets will admit how little they know about guinea pigs, or fail to charge you full price even when they have no idea what they are doing.  They may not spend much time in vet school on small animal classes, but they definitely seem to have paid close attention to the classes on self-promotion skills!
Like you, I have vowed many times not to get any more piggies until I know I can provide decent medical care for them when needed.  What always breaks my resolve in this matter is the fact that piggies continue to turn up at the local shelter and I know that, as incompetent as I often feel, I am willing to spend more time, energy and money on their care than the majority of people they could end up with.
It helps that at the moment, I have two reasonably good guinea pig vets.  They are not certified exotic vets and when I started taking my piggies to them, they had very little experience with cavies.   However they both love small animals, treat mine with respect and kindness, and are willing to do research and consult when they encounter a problem they don't know how to treat. They've told me many times how much they have learned from treating my piggies because in many cases, I am the first piggie caregiver in their practice who was willing to pay for things like dental care or bladder stone removal.  As a result of treating my little herd, when they go to a vet conference, they now take every class on guinea pigs that is offered.  I'm happy to think that my willingness to keep plugging away at the problem will benefit the other piggies that are brought to these vets for treatment from now on.
Lynn, my heart goes out to you --- I am sending my very best wishes that both your heart and your arm will begin to heal soon.
Pat and the Prairie Pigs