[Gpdd] Health: Hyperthyroid piggie

Luita Dean Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 12 13:23:36 EDT 2015

Hello all!
Please send good wishes my way - Jonas (brown, black and white piggie in
my photo included in the recent Club Critture article about our Peter
Gurney Light Around The World) has been slowly losing weight for about a
year, and was recently diagnosed as having a hyperthyroid condition. He
has a tumor on his thyroid, but at 6 years old, both his vet and I agree
that he's a bad candidate for surgery, and we have no idea if it's
cancerous or not. He is currently on thyroid medication, and I have been
able to keep his weight hovering around 990 grams by syringe feeding him
crushed pellets mixed with canned pumpkin, but overnight he loses whatever
he's been able to gain during the day. I recently ordered Herbicare Plus
from Amazon (None of my pigs have ever liked Critical Care), but does
anyone have any ideas about high calorie food that might help him pack a
little weight on? He is otherwise a happy pig and loves his pumpkin.
Luita
Skinny Guinea Jonas and
Pleasantly Plump Emilie