[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Gorgeous Guineas bumblefoot

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Fri Apr 24 16:38:32 EDT 2015

I have used the F&M ointment, used to be called perfect paws, with great
success in treating bumblefoot as long as there is only one affected
foot. But it takes a long time. Expect to be putting it on the foot
twice a day for 6 weeks. I personally never bandage piggy's feet. The
fear of them eating the bandage and possibly getting a blockage of the
gi tract scares me. As far as treating with a systemic antifungal I
would use Itraconazole oral suspension 10 mg/ml instead of griseofulvin.
I have found griseofulvin to have too many bad side effects. It also has
to be given with a fatty acid supplement to be able to be absorbed. I
used virgin olive oil. The dose of itraconazole is 5.0 mg/kg twice a
day. So for a piggy that weights 1000 grams you would give 0.5 ml orally
twice a day for 10 days then take a 3 day break in treatment. Then
treats again for 10 days with a  3 day break for a total of 30 days of
Itraconazole.

Cheers, Ann from piggyville
--

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.