[Gpdd] Health - prayers for Chinny

Rachel Koo koo.rachel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 05:19:00 EST 2015

When my piggies had pneumonia, I didn't have them hospitalised either.
What Ann taught me is that the essential medicines are a high enough dose
of antibiotics for two to three weeks and a course of anti inflammatory
medicines.

Based on Ann's advice, I have usually used bactrim  at 0.5 ml twice a day
for 14 days to 21 days, or 10 MG baytril twice a day for 7 to 14 days. If
your vet isn't giving you the antibiotics at a high enough dose, you could
try asking them for more medicines. Mine usually give the antibiotics at
low doses, but are open to giving me more when I say this is on the advice
of my rodentologist friend.

I also give the NSAID rimadyl (25mg/ml) at 0.4 ml twice a day for 9 days
and 0.2 ml twice a day for the next 5 days. If the vet doesn't prescribe
rimadyl, you could buy another NSAID children's ibuprofen over the counter
at the pharmacy or chemist and administer 0.4 ml twice a day for at least
14 days.

You could also get bromhexine solution from the pharmacy or chemist.  I
have used this for URI but if i am not wrong, it helps with pneumonia too.
It will help to thin the mucus. I can't remember the dosage but Penny or
Ann or someone more experienced will be able to advise.

Hope that helps.

Rachel