[Gpdd] HEALTH: Callie's Dr. app results

Lynn Williams mlwilliams at clear.net
Thu Feb 5 19:21:08 EST 2015

Hello all,

Well, Callie went back to the Dr. today.  Bless her heart, Ann called me
this morning on Skype all the way from France in order to advise me on what
to ask the vet about.  She hit the nail on the head, too.

The results were that after checking her molars, no problems were found.
Her feces look normal but she did send them off for testing for parasites.
She did, in fact, have a very bad UTI.  The Dr. said the white cell count
and the blood count were both very high in the urine and that it had
apparently been this way for a while because she had quite a bit of mucous
in her vulva area.  So, she is now on Baytril (not sure of that spelling)
for the next week or so.  We dewormed her today as well.

Now for the disturbinh news.  The Dr. was not at all interested in the info
I tried to give her on being able to examining a piggy's teeth without
anesthesia. She is of the belief that it is too stressful on the piggy and
that is a higher risk than the anesthesia.  I gave her the name of a Dr.
that Ann recommended here in the US but she didn't seem at all interested in
exploring this option any further.  So, I guess now my only option is to
start getting Earl to help me look on line in the surrounding areas and just
start making some calls to check out some other vets.  The problem is, I
have attempted this bbfore and while all of them say they are exotic vets
and that they see GPs, the truth is, they are woefully uninformed.  I like
this Dr. and I thinkshe did a good djob with what she knows.  She has not
been trained though and hasn't got our Ann to show her the way.  I think I
shall send a Pig Air ticket to Ann over in France and fly her here to meet
the Dr. and let her show her the right way to do this!  :)  Anyway, Callie
is still a bit grobby from the anesthesia but is  moving around her cage and
was eating some hay.  She has had her first dose of Baytril tonight and it
will be twice a day from here on out.

The other thing that concerned me was that when I asked the Dr. about pain
med, I told her I usually give children's IB Profin.  She insisted that I
shouldn't do that and that it was toxic to GPs.  Now, I don't believe that
from beiing on this list and seeing it done time after time and using it
myself a few times.  So, I do have some concerns but at least we think we
know now why Callie has been dropping weight.

I will keep you all updated as things move along.  I am going to go get a
piece of apple and see if I can entice Callie to nibble a bit of it.  It is
almost dinner time and I will also be offering her the usual array of
veggies.

Thanks for all of your concern and support.

Hugs, love and whisker kisses,
Lynn, a sleepy Callie,, Eve with Sammy, Tabby and Penny the guide dog at the
bridge and in our hearts and memories.