[Gpdd] Health: elderly piggy losing weight slowly

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:57:16 EST 2015

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask you what you can do against an elderly piggy loosing
weight slowly.
I remember someone said there was a remedy...

Our woopy who will turn 7 in April is slowly loosing weight, she used to be
just below a kilo, so 1000gr. But over the months she has slowly gone down
to 820 gr.
She has had a broken front teeth, just one of the 2 bottom teeth, and it
grew back really slowly, the new tooth is also a bit yellow, so the vet
suspected the root of her tooth was damaged.
But as she s still eating and managing with the tooth that grew back I
don't want to bother her too much with getting that sorted perfectly.
She also had a course of antibiotics during that time, and when she is
sleeping she makes a sort of rasping noise. Also we think her old bones
hurt a bit, as she won't stand on her hind legs anymore.
But then she is getting old, and she is still perky, sleeps a bit more, but
eats and seems alert,.
Food goes in and comes out the other side...

So any thoughts what could be done about her loosing weight so slowly? I
think someone called it the wasting disease.

Thanks,
Mieke and the guinygirlz Woopy, Roos and new girl Peaches and boar Bérke